Monday, January 23, 2006

A Lung Doctor with a Heart

If you've read my posts, you know my opinion of lung doctors. Today I saw Dr. Leeper for the first office visit, and I believe I've finally been blessed with a lung doctor that 'gets it'. Here is a picture of him. Somehow this man made it through medical school with his heart and bedside manner intact. He actually asked me "How has Sarcoid affected your life?" And he actually listened to my (long) answer. Wow. He wanted to know who my 'team' is (i.e. the names and addresses of my core doctors) so he can send them his notes! This is the type of cooperation I BEG for and rarely, if ever get. He was not intimidated by the fact that I go online to connect and learn, in fact he said he does it too and encourages it. We even knew some of the same 'giants' in the field by name at least. But there was some not so good news too. He said my Sarc is now stage 3, and that I need to start wearing portable oxygen all the time. I have the portable tank that I can carry over my shoulder, but I've only been using it 'as needed' so far, with the big oxygen on all the time at night. So as far as the disease goes, things are moving in the wrong direction. At least now I have a compassionate doctor to help me deal with it.

Mom, of course, took me to the appointment and heard everything too. I know she feels as much releif as I do, especially after some of the experiences we've had with a few doctors at the Emory Clininc. God bless her, I am so grateful for her servant heart and her faithfulness to her family. If you're reading this Mom, I love you.

1 comments:

Michael said...

My Darlin' sweetheart...
I love you too !!
I am aware of how VERY crucial it is for you to be H E A R D and Understood.
Dr. Leeper seems to be a listener.

Wouldn't it be great to have him be as attentive and compassionate as our Dr. Stu Levin.

Loving you,
me