Thursday, October 14, 2004

Mystery Solved?

So maybe it's not just your garden variety FAT after all. My dear father in law has educated me on Cushings Disease, which occurs when your body either receives or manufactures too much cortisol. I've had these strange purple streaks on my skin for months now and turns out that is a classic symptom of Cushings. Quoted from WEB MD below:

"Cushings syndrome is a rare disorder in which body tissue is exposed to excess levels of the hormone cortisol, which helps the body manage stress and plays a role in regulating the Immune System. Cortisol levels increase when the pituitary gland in the brain releases another hormone called adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH). Because cortisol influences almost all body systems, Cushing's syndrome may cause such diverse symptoms as WEIGHT GAIN, LOW BACK PAIN, SKIN CHANGES, BLUISH-RED STRIPING, SEVERE FATIGUE, MUSCLE WEAKNESS, DEPRESSION, DIABETES, and HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. If untreated, Cushing's syndrome can result in death."

OK, so I'm overdosed on steroids. Like I didn't already know that. HOW TO GET OFF OF THEM IS THE QUESTION???????? This has got to be priority 1 when I see my Rheumy next week. With Cushings, no matter how hard you diet and exercise, you just keep exploding bigger, bigger, bigger. And then you die.

0 comments: